Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Three Years Ago, We Got Married

     Three short years of marriage. In some ways, it feels as if it was just yesterday my Daddy walked me down the aisle, and I was wearing the dress of my dreams, to give me away to the man I love. In other ways, it feels as if it has always been Jon and me, and we haven't known anything different, and life always happened in our cozy little home on the prairies together. We were just two kids in love, and now we're having our own kids, and life--it happens so fast!
    Like anything in life, our love had a beginning, and someday, when we're in Heaven, our marriage won't exist like it does right now. Sometimes, that pierces my heart, because what could be better than marriage, forever and ever, to this man I love? But Heaven; it's going to be so much more wonderful than we could even imagine, and it will be just Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, and He will fill our everything, and our forever, and I won't even miss being married to Jon. As long as we continue to serve Christ, we'll share Heaven for all eternity. How beautiful is that?
     I thought I knew Jon when we got married. I thought we were best friends, and I knew that he made me laugh every day, that he was sweet and thoughtful, and that we loved adventuring together. Our love has grown deeper and matured into something much deeper than our wedding day love, for which I am grateful. Our first year of marriage was wonderful and awful all at the same time, but I believe the adjustments and unpleasant circumstances we went through forced us to stay true to the commitment we made to each other, and the good times kept us putting one foot in front of the other. I didn't know anyone in Manitoba when I moved here, so Jon got it all--he saw all my tears, my struggles, and we walked through some painful situations together, and faced pressure from unexpected places. I never felt like he chose anyone or anything else over me, and I truly felt cherished when he kept choosing me, every day.
   My heart learned to trust him as our love continued to grow, and I'll never forget that moment not that long ago, when I realized that where Jon was, that was home to me. I think that's when I realized how very much I loved him. Of course, I fell in love with him a long time ago, but this kind of knowing, of choosing, of no-matter-what love, is the kind of love that doesn't have anything to do with feelings--it has everything to do with God's grace, with forgiveness, with commitment.
     Wouldn't it be wonderful to always be a nice person and never say anything I didn't regret, and always conduct myself with proper decorum, and never hurt anybody? Hello, reality! To be loved by someone who has chosen to love me in spite of my imperfections, and forgive me when I inflict pain, shows me the heart of Jesus daily. My husband inspires me to be more like Jesus, and I love the way he takes the time to lead us in devotions and pray daily, and gently nudges me to keep going when I feel like giving up. What a priceless blessing to be married to a man like that.
   Here are a few shots from our anniversary outing/mini babymoon in Winnipeg.
                                                                     




                                                 




                                             





      In celebration of our three years of marriage, stay tuned for the saga about how a New Yorker and a Canadian fell in love. The story is unique, it is romantic, and you won't want to miss it!
 

6 comments:

  1. Eek yes! You are going to post your love story! yay!!!! Can't wait! Even though of course I already know it...it will be so fun to have you write it out in story form!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Marissa! You said it well, and seeing the two of you doing life together is precious and sweet.
    xoxo,
    Alli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Shortly after my husband and I were married we moved to his home state of Minnesota....where I also knew (almost) no one (I give you more credit here though because I am only 4 states away from my family)! What I change! I completely agree with you - the moment that I realized that my true "home" was wherever my husband was was SO powerful, and really made me think about how much our love had grown and changed in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. godly-young-widow14 December 2015 at 10:59

    Awesome photos! I think we may have been really close to each other; that store with the guitar wall looks very familiar. Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to hearing your story; yeah, what an act of faith to change countries and be in unfamiliar territory and learn more of God in a new way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting to hear your love story! :)

    ReplyDelete