Thursday, 12 November 2015

Hello again, world!

 Here I am, writing after a long hiatus. I feel out of practice with blogging (not that I was ever well-versed in the blogosphere in the first place!), so as I tentatively type these sentences, they will most likely be written, backspaced, and re-written, and re-written again.
     Summer always flies by at an alarming speed, and looking back, I believe if I had blinked, I would have missed it. All appearances of autumn are now past as well, judging by the gray skies, the monochromatic landscape, and the fresh layer of powdered sugar snow that decorates the prairies this morning. Christmas music is also playing, because it is November after all, and I do love the Christmas season. I have restrained myself from digging out the lights, the Christmas decorations, and the wreath I hang on the front door. I did not know I possessed such self-control! (Just kidding!)
    The majority of my summer was spent sleeping, lying on the couch, or exercising will-power I didn't know I had, to perform simple tasks such as laundry, cooking for my husband, and trying to keep up with the laundry. Who knew morning sickness could last all day (and night!), and who knew growing a tiny person could take such an incredible amount of energy? 
     The expected arrival of our son or daughter is now less than 3 months away, and with every kick, and squirm, my anticipation grows. We are so grateful to the Lord for this incredible blessing He has gifted us, and there's nothing like new life to make you realize what a miracle it is that people are even conceived, yet live to be 100!
     Some mornings, I must admit, I just sit on our couch and watch the antics of my little sweetie, and I see a poke here, and feel a flutter there, and Baby, what was that?! Words just can't describe how wonderful it is to be carrying life inside me. I am a mother, and I feel small and inadequate when I ponder how this small person has a tender heart, a little soul, and Oh Lord, I need Your grace and an infilling of Your Holy Spirit to be the mother my son or daughter needs!
   I'll wrap up this post with a few pictures from our camping trips (before morning sickness!), various travels, and random interesting pictures you may enjoy.


Because we all know half the fun of camping is that steaming cup of French-pressed coffee in the morning, isn't it?



Look at all that beautiful sunshine! 


All this is missing is a hot, gooey, puffy, marshmallow! Meet the smoreo!


We usually take a game along on our camping excursions, and Ticket to Ride is one of our favorites.
Camp food is just.so.good.

I just love adventures with this man!
This was the day we heard our wee Jellybean's heartbeat for the first time at 9 weeks. That was one of the best days of our life!

Hello, little garden in town!


We didn't get to enjoy our backyard quite as much this summer, but when I was feeling well, we made the best of it!

We had a bumper crop of enormous green peppers this year--and yes, that is inches!


We went on a road trip to various places, and this day, we got to spend at Grandpa & Grandma Youngman's cottage by Lake Ontario.

And always, boating on Queen Molly!
 This was quality sibling time--the 5 hour drive to Pittsburgh, PA, to hear the Piano Guys.




This was a dream come true for me, and it was one of the most fantastic concerts I have ever attended!



 We were so privileged to be able to attend my older brother's wedding, and to witness the beauty of God uniting two people in marriage for life. It was a beautiful celebration, and I certainly didn't lose a brother--I simply gained a sweet and dear sister-in-law!


The handsome men...

Love these two!
I  know, I know...my parents are the cutest! :)
A stop in Ohio is always mandatory, to see these two sister friends.

We also always stop here, because I crave it way up here in Manitoba for months until we go to the US and satisfy that craving for sweet tea, chicken fingers, and all those yummy sauces!

We also spent some time with Jon's brother and his family in Michigan. My husband has the funniest nieces and nephews. :)
They love their Uncle Jon!



If you've never been to the sand bluffs along Lake Michigan, or you've never been to Lake Michigan at all, well...you should go.That's all.

Lots of canning happened this summer and fall. This was a batch of salsa I made. It was supposed to be hot, but I can't seem to make my salsa spicy. I put hot peppers in, and this year, I dumped all the jalapeno seeds in as well, and still, my salsa mocks me with its mildness. Any remedies for this problem?

Excuse the guardrail...this picture was taken as we were driving. These Canadian Rockies are so breathtaking, and I fell in love with their majestic beauty.



Here we are in Sparwood, B.C. by the world's largest truck.

Autumn in Manitoba is so different than what I'm accustomed to in New York, but it is very true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.


*happy sigh* Our steaming Saturday morning waffles...

This was on Thanksgiving day, on our way to a lovely dinner with dear friends.


Hubby and I went to the rodeo with friends. It was his first time at a rodeo, and I think it won't be his last, although we felt rather conspicuous with no cowboy boots or hats, checkered shirts, those huge gaudy belt buckles, and "the swagger". :) Actually, we are perfectly content to live without all the above.

Don't you just love that lady photobombing us back there? It makes me laugh--it's so inherently awkward. Oh, and have you noticed how my man's beard has been getting progressively longer? It's not just your imagination. It's simple: he's growing a beard, and I'm growing a baby. And yes, I like his beard very much, although it is rather tickle-y for kissing and such. And no, we don't care if you like it or not. It's not your face! :)

  I hope you enjoyed that glimpse of our summer and fall. (I feel like this post got longer than what I intended, so my apologies about the photo overload.)

And this? This is now.

                                                                                        Enjoy your day!


7 comments:

  1. Yay!! Now I can see all the lovely pictures! =)
    love love love this post...please keep more coming. I am so happy that you have wifi at your house now and can hopefully post often!
    xoxo, chels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! :) We're pretty happy about that ourselves--it's been so fun so far!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos, Marissa!
    {no, you don't know me=) I'm a friend of Chels and the Bontragers; I've seen your comments/heard lots about you on her blog=)}
    Wonderful that you are expecting! Babies are a blessing<3 I'm the oldest of 9 children, btw=)
    #largefamilyperks #loveit #wanttohaveabunchsomeday {Lord willing<3}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Rachael! :) We are so thrilled, and feel very blessed to have this new life join our family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that is so wonderful! When are you due, by the way, if it's alright to ask<3

      Delete
  4. Hello! My name is Natalie! I enjoyed your post especially the canning picture! I have over the last couple months became obsessed with canning. Thanks to my grandfather and I want to carry on the tradition. I have 6 children and I love how I can have a full pantry of goodies from jams, spaghetti sauces, to beans (and much more). God Bless you and your new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love LOVE it, darling Rissa!!!! I love the way you two adventure and do life together. It's just sweet. And to see you embracing life in Canada- it's been a journey, I know, but you are doing such a good job, sis. Keep it up!
    xoxo,
    Alli

    ReplyDelete