Monday, 20 October 2014

The Reunion of Sister Friends

     Meet my cousins//sisters//friends, Chelsy and Allison Bontrager. They drove allllll the way up to our little house just to visit me. There is something incredibly wonderful about friends who become sisters of the heart, who just happen to be my cousins. It's fabulous, isn't it?
      I will refrain from boring you with every detail of our visit together, but I will tell you that large amounts of coffee were consumed, and some long-overdue chat time ensued. Many lines from Jane Austen and Audrey Hepburn movies were quoted, and much laughter and perhaps a small amount of silliness happened. Delectable treats were created and eaten, music was played, and shopping was done. How could I forget facials, new hairdos and manicures? Of course, none of this was abnormal for us. It did my girly heart so much good to have these two here for a short and sweet visit and indulge in all the delights of being a feminine soul. Sometimes, it is just so much fun to be a lady.
     Our pumpkin crepes we ate while watching Jane Austen's "Persuasion." Ah, such a fabulous movie. If you watch it, make sure you watch the 2007 BBC version.

 We have been playing piano duets together for years now, and it's a tradition we both look forward to every time we are together.
 Browsing books at the used book store.
 
 Shopping on our day out on the town!
 This dear, sweet cousin inspires me with her love for all things beautiful, and her elegant style and classy aura. She was always my little sister, but now she's all grown up and lovely and amazing. [please excuse the gaudy Giant Tiger bags. It's a Canadian thing. *grin*]
 She was maid of honor at my wedding, she planned my bridal shower, she booked the adorable yurt for my bachelorette party, she did the engagement shoot for my husband and I (well, he was fiance then), she was at my graduation, and...you get the picture. We are nine months apart, and have been best friends since we were babies. What would I do without Chels? I love you, dear!
 Now you can't say you've never seen someone sipping cheddar bunnies from a bowl!
 We went to the library and checked out all the books on Prince William and Kate Middleton, because who doesn't love a real-life fairy-tale?

 Alli made mini cheesecakes with a single Oreo for the crust. I can't even tell you how scrumptious they were!
 Hello, cinnamon twist yumminess! The recipe for these treats and a tutorial on how to twist them will be following sometime soon.
 I wish that French manicures were practical for housewives. This one didn't even last an hour. *sigh*
      Our last evening together, we dined on steak grilled so expertly by my husband, a tossed salad, fettucine alfredo, and sparkling raspberry lemonade. It was such a lovely evening, and we finished it off by introducing Chels and Alli to the bean game. We even played the last half by candlelight, due to the loss of electricity for an hour or so.
     They left bright and early on Friday morning, and now I'm meditating on the sweet memories we made and feeling grateful for Godly sister friends. Wise are the words of Dr. Suess: " Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
     Enjoy the remainder of your Monday!
     -Mrs. Loewen



    

11 comments:

  1. Aw! Sounds like you had a lovely time with Chelsy and Allison! Loved seeing all the photos of your fun times together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your cousins. You always look so happy together.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWWW!!!! this is sooo sweet! so many memories!! can't wait to do my post about this too!!
    yes, just a very small amount of silliness. (ahem)
    ah, I love us!! thank YOU for the amazing time, delicious food, and everything else!!
    hugs! miss you already!
    -chels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is Allison wearing pants under her dress? If so, I like the modest look of her outfit. I have fairly recently moved from being skirts only to occasional pants wearer and am always looking out for ideas on increasing my modesty when wearing pants in public

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me smile! There is just nothing like sister friends. :) Would you care to share the pumpkin crepes recipe? They look DEE-licious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, the crepes are from the Trim Healthy Mama book, made with eggs, cream, water, xanthan gum, and a little stevia. The filling was pureed pumpkin, cream cheese, pumpkin spice, and stevia. Alli made them, so I regret to inform you that I can't give you the exact measurements. Happy cooking! :)

      Delete
  6. Well you may or may not remember that you and Chelsy were not ALWAYS best of friends. I know your mother will verify that at the tender age of about 3 or 4 the two of you had more than one spat, mostly about the love of dolls. :) But truly, you did grow up and now I love seeing how your friendship has spanned distance, survived marriage (yours), and grown better and stronger. And I am inspired how the 3 of you not only were silly together but also prayed, sang, and talked deeply together. Blessings! Aunt Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a wonderful time!!! Love the photos!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I like your blog! So glad you had a great time with your cousins. I hope you check out my blog and follow by email!! And leave a comment if you wish!!
    ~Ashley
    Here's my blog: creatingpreciousmoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I have been following the Bontrager blog for a while and that's how I ended up here! Looks like tons of fun, and yes, being a lady is so much fun!!!!! Those times together are such a blessing from God, times to indeed treasure! I happen to love your eyeglasses, and need a new pair. I know you are in Canada but can you share where you found them?
    Many blessing to you!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! Thank you for your interest in my blog, as well as your compliment on my glasses. :) I have had this pair for quite a few years, and I actually got them in the States from my local eye care provider at the time. The brand is Elizabeth Arden. Hope you find what you're looking for!

      Delete